A (very) brief timeline:
- 2004 through 2012: I reviewed over 550 books for the sadly now-defunct RT Book Reviews, almost all science fiction or fantasy. That’s over 125,000 words of criticism in reader-facing space. My reviews have been featured on the covers of books and in promotional materials, under the RT Book Reviews byline.
- 2012 through 2022: I reviewed books and wrote essays here on Pretty Terrible.
A few other items of interest:
- 2017: I was a finalist for the Best Fan Writer Hugo. I lost.
- 2021: my essay, George R.R. Martin Can Fuck Off Into the Sun", was a finalist in the Best Related Work Hugo category. I lost. To Beowulf, and how could anyone be upset by that?
I hope everyone who was mad in 2021 is still mad. Stay mad forever.
Out of the nearly 700 posts and thousands of links and hundreds of hours of research and writing, here are my favorites:
- 10/17/2012: A Reviewer's Manifesto
- 10/29/2012: W.B. Yeats, Nice Guy
- 11/14/2012: Natalie's Theory of Urban Fantasy
- 11/26/2012: To Sail Beyond the Sunset, Robert A. Heinlein: An Attempted Review
- 12/3/2012: Expanding the Boundaries of Romance
- 2/18/2013: Fan Fic Sensibility and the Id Vortex
- 4/15/2013: Sexism, SF, and Me
- 4/24/2013: Reviews, Genre, and Gender
- 5/1/2013: Over the Borderline: More on Genre, Gender, and Reviews
- 5/29/2013: Criticism, Reader Shame, and Problematic Books
- 6/10/2013: Clean Rooms, Messy Bodies: The Intersection of SF and Romance
- 7/1/2013: Harassment and the Back Channel
- 8/29/2013: Reading Habits and the Status Quo
- 12/2/2013: Historical Fiction and Nicola Griffith's Hild
- 12/3/2013: Gussied Up Criticism
- 6/3/2014: Dave Truesdale Explains It All
- 6/16/2014: Silence is Complicity
- 7/21/2014: WisCon: The Frenkel Decision
- 8/10/2015: Pattern Matching: Lou Antonelli and the Sad Puppies
- 1/13/2016: When Self-Help Books Go Horribly Wrong
- 1/15/2016: Losing My Voice
- 2/5/2016: A Brief Analysis of the Locus Recommended Reading List, 2011-2015
- 10/16/2016: No One Should Feel Alone
- 4/6/2017: I Read Cal Newport's Deep Work So You Don't Have To
- 12/7/2017: Funny Money, Patreon Style
- 12/11/2017: Start-Up Suicide, Patreon Style
- 8/1/2020: George R.R. Martin Can Fuck Off Into the Sun
- 1/16/2022: CGNPCWSW: A Manifesto
I’ve also published essays elsewhere:
- Uncanny Magazine
- The Bias (which I co-own with Annalee Flower Horne)